Birdblog

A conservative news and views blog.

Name:
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States

Friday, May 16, 2014

Hero Cat

Timothy Birdnow

Here is a video that has gone viral. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/15/is-this-the-most-heroic-cat-of-all-time

People say cats are not loyal, only care for themselves. Well, it isn't true. This cat, seeing his little master being attacked by a dog, runs to the rescue, attacking the dog and chasing it away.

It makes me remember my dear late friend Blackberry. Blackberry was my best friend and protector, coming to wake me when we had an earthquake (at the risk of his own life as far as he knew). Blackberry would stay at my side night and day when I was sick, and would fetch my wife whenever something happened. (Once I was choking on some water and he was FRANTIC.) He feared neither man nor beast (as the injury to his tail before I rescued him from an abandoned building proved). He once punched a big dog in the nose and sauntered away, clearly cowing the much larger pooch.

He kept a watchful eye on the property when I was not home. He also could be relied upon to wake my wife for work after I left. All I had to do was ask him and he understood. I always refered to him as the Albert Einstein of cats. He figured out how to remove a harness the first time I tried to put it on him. He was fascinated by the workings of the toilet when I left the lid off it, yanking the chain to flush it and then jumping down to listen to the water flow down. He was brilliant.

My do I miss him.

He died of congestive heart failure, a scant two months before I was diagnosed with the same malady. In the end he was brave, and he moved from me to my wife, letting us know he was accepting his fate and saying goodbye. He was a brave and wonderful creature and I will never forget him.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com